Sunday 16 October 2011

42 La boheme, Penang

I've been wanting to try out the pasteries at this cafe for a long, long time. Things always got in the way. Either I was too busy or they had sold-out whatever they were selling and closed before I could buy any or it was because a construction crane fell in the path of the one-way road and blocked all traffic from passing-by Sri Bahari road altogether. Yes, a crane really crashed!


Anyway, this morning after mass, I decided to give it one more shot. So, i drove all the way down to Sri Bahari road and to my delight, it was open. Seems like I was meant to go there today. I think i was their first customer of the day!


The counter seemed to be stocked with cakes, pasteries and yummy looking danish-like pastry. Well, it's suppose to be a French pastry shop cum cafe. And the French man, i presume was the chef, was with his, (assuming again) chinese wife, relaxing on the chairs beside the counter.



And their menu was written on 3 pieces of black board hung on the wall beside the counter. Unfortunately, all of it was in French with no translations. I had to ask the lady serving me what everything meant.

And i spotted their black cat :) named Felix

So today, I bought 3 things which totalled up to RM32


One was the tarte aux noix (walnut tart) which cost me RM10 per slice

uncooked blue berry cheese cake (right)
walnut tart (left)

The other was an uncooked blueberry cheesecake...RM14 per slice





and lastly, the yummy looking danish-like pastry called oranais RM8

Out of the three, the best to me was the oranais! Crunchy exterior, with soft, creamy-custordy center! Oh, and the peach tasted sweet & juicy... Perfect! Despite the price, I think they offer good quality food :)

I expected the walnut tart to be super sweet seeing the caremel coating in the tart. Surprisingly, the walnuts were slightly bitter ( i think they left the walnut skin on) which neutralised the sweetness of the caremel.

The Blue berry cheese cake was really fresh.

Still, the best for me was, though the cheapest of the lot - Oranais



You can check this place out for yourself at
42, Jalan Sri Bahari
10050 Penang

 Tue-Sun: 10am-6pm

It's along the same road as The Ship Restaurant

They have their own website here

No comments:

Post a Comment